I am a Strong Independent Woman
I live alone, call a foreign land my home,
earn my keep, and pay off my loans.
I am a Strong Independent Woman
I cook all my meals, do the laundry,
do all my chores, and even spend my own money at stores.
I am a Strong Independent Woman
I pay all my bills on time, never on a borrowed dime,
and at the end of the day, I enjoy a margarita with lime.
I am a Strong Independent Woman
I stay out late, sometimes go on dates,
No one to question me, restrictions I hate.
I am a Strong Independent Woman
I handle disappointments with my head high
rarely expressing more than a sigh.
I am a Strong Independent Woman
I cry sometimes; I won't lie
But rarely do I want to curl up and die.
I am a strong Independent Woman
I carry my groceries, change the lightbulbs, and fix the plumbing,
though I wont deny, sometimes, I wish I had a hand that was helping.
I am a Strong independent Woman
my shoulders do ache with all the responsibilities I carry,
and sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't maybe marry?
I am a Strong Independent woman
self sufficient and financially able,
yet at times I wonder if I am just chasing a label.
I am a strong independent woman
though, sometimes I ponder
wouldn't it be lovely
to have someone to miss and wonder
A steady partner to rely on
a shoulder to cry on
someone to fight over the TV remote with
and go on long moonlight walks with
whose attention and company I can continue expecting
instead of wishing and hoping and planning and dreaming
But no, don't get me wrong, that is just a fantasy
I simply jest, do not take it seriously
because while it is fun to imagine a fairy tale
it doesn't exemplify the role of a male
in my life, for you MUST see,
a fleeting wish does not undo years of me
armoring myself against this unjust world
that labelled me a helpless little GIRL.
I am STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMAN
And I need you to SEE
That that little princess
is no longer me!
Who wants to be rescued
by her knight in shining armor?
Me? No, Surely not I!
I would rather live a life of arduous labour
for it be seen more fairly
than "selling out" as a wife!
A Strong Independent Woman, am I!
a companion, a home, children,
who needs all these things? Not I!
even if they are buried deep in a secret wishing vault inside...
for I am, after all, a strong independent woman
...aren't I?
Comments
Post a Comment